Is your driveway ready for an overhaul? You can fix and increase curb appeal and the durability of your driveway with decorative driveway concrete stamping.
What is Concrete Stamping?
Concrete Stamping is concrete that has been patterned, textured or embossed with a stamp to look like various textures. It can be made to look like flagstone, slate, wood, tile, stone bricks or a combination of these. Decorative concrete stamping can be done in a variety of coatings, colours, sealer sheens and an assortment of stamps making it highly versatile and customizable. Due to its realistic and durable nature, you can find decorative concrete in patios, sidewalks, driveways, pool decks or in houses as a replacement for tiles.
Driveway concrete stamping is an easy and economical way to increase the curb appeal and durability of your driveway. Check out the benefits of decorative concrete stamping:
Benefits of Driveway Concrete Stamping
- Curb Appeal
- Design Versatility
- Low Maintenance
- Cost effective
Decorative concrete stamping has the versatility and beauty to meet your design desires while having the durability of concrete. The durability and longevity of decorative concrete makes it the perfect option for people living in Calgary where the climate can be harsh. Additionally, the price of stamped concrete compared to natural stone can be dramatically lower.
There are many driveway concrete stamping design options available, but natural stone patterns like slate and fieldstone tend to be the most popular. Though brick and cobblestone are a close second. The most popular colours tend to be greys and earth tones.
How to Do Decorative Driveway Concrete Stamping
- Decide on a design for your driveway concrete stamping and map it out to scale. Remember the more randomly placed your stamps the more natural it will look.
- Begin with the proper foundation in order to prevent cracks from happening down the road. If there are cracks you may need to reinforce the concrete.
- Pour in concrete and level evenly.
- Apply your hardener using the product’s specific application process instructions.
- As uniformly as possible paint release agent to the bottom of the stamps and toss it over the concrete.
- Carefully align your first stamp according to your master plan and place your mats across the row. Make sure that they are close to one another and in the proper positions. Tamp the stamps down when they are all in place – just hard enough to be flush with the concrete.
- Let the stamps set. This can take anywhere from 10 – 48 hours depending on the project.
- Clean the edges by chipping and sanding away any protrusions.
- Apply the sealer evenly. Depending on the product you are using you may need to do one to two coats.
The procedure for driveway concrete stamping can be challenging to do yourself. Concrete dries very fast and the stamping process requires thoughtful planning and special tools. For this job you will require trowels, edgers, tampers and purchased or rented stamps and stencils. If something goes wrong, the only way to fix it is to rip it up and start all over again. We highly recommend that you hire a professional for this specialized process. You will save yourself from frustration and in the end, it will be more cost effective. If you are looking to do decorative concrete in Calgary, feel free to reach out to us with any questions, we’d be happy to help.
If you’re still unsure whether decorative driveway concrete stamping is for you, make sure to check out these other concrete coatings and treatment options. Most of these options will work for an update on your concrete driveway in Calgary.